Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Cornbread and butter beans and you across the table..


So the other night after cooking dinner in the dark during a brief power outage Trish and I began to have a conversation about food.  I said that my first meal back at home over Christmas was going to be at Chick-fil-A, on James Island.  Trish, somewhat surprised that I would want that as my first meal after working there for 18 months, asked what I would get.  Now I don’t want to appear to be a glutton but my response was a 12 ct Nugget meal, valuesized, with Diet Dr. P and a Spicy Chicken Sandwich with pepperjack cheese.  This would of course include at least one of each dipping sauce.  These were the staples during my tenure at CFA however never all at once.  This led to more discussion of Triple Hashbrowns, covered, smothered, scattered and chunked from Waffle House, Yacht Club and Bishop Gadsden buffets, Blind Tiger lunches, and any number of other restaurants, homes, and dives that we used to frequent around Charleston.  One might believe that after reading this that the food here isn’t good but the truth is we eat quite well and healthy.  All the produce is locally grown, you can buy it all daily at the local market and know exactly where it came from since you recognize your neighbors selling it.  Meat is somewhat questionable locally but we are able to buy it in Kampala when we make the 3 hour trek to the capitol.  Of course storing food depends on power, which has been decent lately but is always questionable.  We find ourselves getting excited about meals though because obviously food= comfort.  We ate our last box of Kraft Mac-n-cheese this week for lunch but I think there is some coming in August through a courier system that I am referring to as my brother.  While we do have some of these comforts from home and there are larger super markets in Kampala it is exciting to try new things and find new foods that we both like.  I have to be honest though, Trish does ALL of this.  I try to help sometimes by slicing onions or cleaning garlic cloves or pouring drinks and setting the table but it is Trish that is keeping my waistline where it has been for the past few years.  Another advantage to Uganda is that we use the metric system so when I step on a scale it really looks like I have lost weight.  I must say that we are happy, and healthy and I owe this God, Trish, and the family at home that have supplied us with American staples like Mac-n-cheese, Hershey’s bars, and Wheat Thins.

No comments:

Post a Comment