Wednesday, March 20, 2013

35 things we used to take for granted

Here are two lists that I just started making in my head and thought I'd share. After living here for almost a year, it was interesting to me what we used to take for granted and now find to be a treat, and what we take for granted now that we will miss later. Its a small glimpse into how life is different over here. Enjoy!


35 things we used to take for granted that are now a huge treat (not in any particular order):

1.       Cheese, any kind

2.       Electricity

3.       Drinking water from the tap

4.       A hot shower

5.       Water pressure

6.       Fans that work all night long

7.       Privacy

8.       Meat

9.       Getting bitten by a mosquito and not worrying if that one is the one to give me malaria in a couple of weeks

10.   Dishwasher

11.   Washing machine

12.   Clothes dryer

13.   Wearing shorts in public

14.   Air conditioning

15.   Drug stores, the kind that sell everything, not the ones that just sell drugs (we have those)

16.   Pandora

17.   Netflix

18.   TV

19.   Unlimited internet

20.   Restaurant choices

21.   Take out

22.   Drive throughs

23.   Ice

24.   Dessert

25.   Family gatherings

26.   A social life

27.   Dentists

28.   Clean feet

29.   A church service we fully understand

30.   Being able to go for a walk and not be the center of attention or have “MAZUNGU, you give me money” yelled at you

31.   Grocery stores

32.   Good beer/more choices

33.   Having a full weekend off

34.   A bug/lizard free home

35.   Paved roads

 

What we will miss that we take for granted here when we leave:

1.       Wilson! Our best friend, helper, and life savor

2.       Free mangos from the yard

3.       Free avocados from the yard

4.       100s of children everywhere

5.       Awesome rainstorms

6.       Going on safari every few weeks

7.       Huge white smiles from strangers

8.       Beautiful colorful fabrics

9.       Every day being an adventure

10.   Doing something so small for someone and they react as if you gave them the moon

11.   Red dirt

12.   Summer year round

13.   Monkeys in the yard

14.   Dinner parties in Kampala where everyone around the table is from a different country

15.   Not putting on makeup or doing my hair most days

16.   Cutting Newman’s hair for him

17.   African coffee

18.   Emily, our Peace Corps volunteer’s hilarious sense of humor

19.   Being a part of something big and exciting

20.   Being content living without the entire previous list of things

 
       Oh and one last one: living in a place where riding on the roof of our car is allowed
 

2 comments:

  1. Trishy--you and Newman are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! Thinking of you often!
    -The Mulls

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am from Africa and had much fun reading this! I had the opposite experience in the United States. You do not smile to strangers always, sometimes this can be a matter of concern!! I miss the social life and do not miss unpaved roads and electricity cuts. I confess I have a washing machine and a dryer! But I still don't need a dish washer!!!! I love the old fashioned way, my wife might disagree! I enjoy going to a Walgreen drive through. I miss getting an antibiotic without a Dr's prescription! The health system is a nightmare! My children would miss Burger King! Now and then they enjoy it. Worship is sometimes a super walk out and the heat all around you makes you sweat big time. Church experience here is far different. I like snow but shoveling it a few months later is no fun.

    ReplyDelete