Saturday, June 8, 2013

When Asked to Give a "Word"


Our Bermuda style abode- more windows than wall
 
 
Rev. Francis Kajura and John Sos- Home from the funeral. Ready for a cup of tea and a visit with Mum (Patti).
 

 
Massias- our next neighbor- he decided to dress today. He is, after all, in charge of the train at his feet.

Market day produce in Basket made by Constance- see below
 

Dear Constance who lives next door, making another basket outside of her home.
She is a regular at St. Matthews. Such a lady.
 
 

Psalm 8 verse 1 in the Runyoro language: Ai Mukama, Mukama waitu, Ibara lyawe ka lirungi omu nsi zona!

 

Although most people in Masindi speak English very well, I hear a great deal of "Runyoro" as that is the preferred language of communication. Each letter of every word is sounded so, even now, if I have a “Praise Book” I can sing with them (mostly).

 

We have been in Masindi for just over a week, and already we have more of interest to report than most have the inclination to read.

 

Anyone who knows my wife Patti knows of her gift for turning a dwelling into a home such that it is a welcoming place of comfort for all who enter. She has done this already with help from Trish and Newman. We are as comfortable here as we have been at Nashotah House or at home on Wadmalaw.

 

Equatorial Africa, in the Masindi District, has many open areas some of which are turned by hand into a multitude of cultivated hills. This is done by local people with very large hoes. In each hill is planted several sweet potato plants, eggplant, or whatever is to be harvested 2 to 3 months later. There are many fruit trees of Mango, Jac-Fruit, Avacado, and Passion-fruit, which feed many people and a lot of monkeys. Right now I am sitting in our living room area watching people work in fields and hearing the occasional ripe mango bounce off of a tin roof as it falls from a tree.

 

From a comfort perspective, the average daily highs are a very pleasant 85 degrees with cool breezes. We sleep with windows open at night and a sheet to cover us. God has been good and has revealed His provisional nature in so many ways.

 

This has been a very interesting week in my internship under Rev. Francis Kajura, at the Cathedral church of St. Matthews. He is very intentional in his efforts to include me in all aspects of parish life. The church sponsors a religious education program for children called the Children’s Development Center. I sat on a panel charged with interviewing prospective teachers for this program. Six of us interviewed 13 candidates for 8 positions. This was carried out very professionally and with great care recognizing that, in the developing country of Uganda, subsequent to the corruption of Idi Amin’s rule, it will only be through the instilling of Christian values that this next generation and the country will be able to thrive.

 

Anytime a Muzunga (white person) is introduced into a church gathering he is asked to give a “Word”.  I now never go to any of these gatherings without having thought of something that will hopefully be encouraging. There are frequent gatherings at the church: 6:30 AM prayer and teaching, 1:00 PM fellowship hour with testimony, ladies’ and men’s bible study, etc.

 

I have been to two funerals this week. The first was for a month old infant who had contracted malaria. This was a relatively small affair where about fifty people were gathered under a tarp outside of a simple hand made brick structure which was the family home. Rev. Francis asked me to open the service in prayer, and then later to give a “Word.” At this point, I knew that I was out of my comfort zone. If being in the unfamiliar surroundings of Masindi Uganda was not enough, I was now being called on to bring comfort and to reflect the compassion of Christ to this distraught father and extended family, that I had just met. I do not remember my words other than to claim God’s Goodness and to ask for His presence and comfort. There is a universality about death and especially the death of a child. We are always immediately beyond ourselves, yet as always God reveals Himself in our weakness.

 

At the second funeral, there were 2000 attendees, again outside at the family home.  We went not to officiate, but in support of the family. Mine was the only white face in the crowd. There was sincere appreciation expressed for our presence. The highlite for me was a little 3 year old girl who stood in front of me, staring, and silently demanding my attention. She slowly came closer, and when I smiled she came up, touched my arm, and ran a short distance away. Rev. Francis leaned forward and chuckled saying, “She went to tell her friends that she touched a Muzunga.” Shortly thereafter she was sitting in my lap. I learned that her name is Peace.

 

The Ugandans we have met, from those who have the least access to resources to those who have the most, have been people of integrity, humility, and graciousness.  A typical response to my thanking them for their hospitality is, “Thank you for appreciating.”

 

My prayer as I prepared to come to Uganda was that I would love the people to whom I would minister and with whom I would interact. I have a very quick and most positive responses to my prayer. These people are easy to love. They are genuinely appreciative of our coming to be with them, not because of what they expect we might do for them, but because we represent the Body of Christ from across the world who seeks to work with them for the spread of His Kingdom.

 

That is more than enough for now. Thank you for your prayers in our behalf. We are very much aware of that support.

 

In His Grip, and by His Grace we are,

 

John and Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment