Thursday, July 25, 2013

Out of Africa

 
 

We are now in our hometown of Charleston, SC, after having spent 6 wonderful weeks in Uganda. I arrived in Africa on May 28, crying because I was so happy to see our children, and I departed Uganda on July 17, crying as we said our good byes to so many that we had come to love, during our brief time there.

 

Our dear, hardworking neighbor, Constance, and her 7 grandchildren, all came to say farewell. The faces of these little children are forever etched in my mind.

Walter, the 6 year old, became a regular fixture at our house, on many afternoons.

Walter would bring fresh mangoes or passion fruit that he harvested from the trees in his yard, knowing that I always had a few bananas or smiley face stickers for him in return.

 

Many times Walter and I would sit on the front steps of our house, and I would read stories from a children’s bible to him. He is learning English but is still limited in his vocabulary. On days that he would pop by while I was busy in the kitchen, I would give him paper and a package of 4 crayons, to draw pictures for me. This would keep him truly busy for an hour. He drew pictures of the pigs and chickens he helped to tend, and was very pleased when I posted the drawings on my refrigerator.

 

Children in Africa really do ‘make their own fun’.  On one occasion, 9 year old Muga, (Walter’s cousin) came to visit. He was pushing a stick that was about 3 feet in length and had a small plastic lid attached to the bottom of the stick, with a nail. The nail acted as an axle, and as Muga pushed it the lid would roll forward like a wheel. I asked him what he was pushing and he told me,

“It’s my bicycle.”

 

Another time Walter was walking through our yard pulling something behind him that looked like a toy truck with an attached cart. As I looked at it closely, it was a truck and a cart that he had made out of 2 quart size juice cartons with plastic water bottle caps for wheels. It was the cutest thing ever!

 

Three year old, Massias, who lived on the other side of our house, could always be heard in the morning as he ran around the yard making sounds like he was riding a boda boda (motorbike).  He had some imagination as he tore through the yard!

 

The sweet faces of the 30 women who gather to learn English are faces that I will not soon forget. I was invited to visit their class, and then later had them over for tea. They really appreciated being invited into a home where we could sit and visit. They sang praise songs and said lovely prayers for both John and myself. These are women who have a strong faith and are the leaders in their community. As a keepsake reminder of the day, I gave them crosses that I brought with me made by the children from Nashotah House Seminary.

 

And now, as I sit here in my air conditioned living room, in a comfy chair  my mind wanders back to the reality of the basic living conditions of the people in Uganda. (Looking back, even the “close encounters” I had with a cow and chickens at church don’t seem nearly as scary as they once did!) I am touched by how simple the lives of Ugandans are and yet how contented they seem to be.  It is so refreshing to see how joyful they seem,  visiting their neighbors, and how they graciously and sincerely extended hospitality to John and me, (these 2 muzugus), by saying to us again and again, “Thank you for coming. You are most welcome.”

 

They are a people who love the Lord and love to sing songs of praise. They worship with all of their might and are not self-conscious about greeting one another, routinely saying,

“Praise the Lord”.

 

It has been a summer that I shall never forget, and one that I know has made a lasting impression on me.

 

Recently I was talking to Newman, my dear son-in-law, about how I keep picturing, in my mind, the faces of these lovely, kind, soft-spoken people, and about how much I miss them. He summed it up best when he said to me, “You can leave Africa, but Africa will never leave you.” This is so true.

 

To all of our friends and family who have prayed for us and supported us during this amazing opportunity – please know that we have felt the prayers. They sustained us and spurred us on, and to you I sincerely say thank you and God bless you.

 

I am so thankful to the Rev. Francis Kajura, Vicar of St. Matthews Cathedral, and to Bishop George William Kasangaki, bishop of the Masindi-Kitara Diocese, for opening the way for me to be mentored and loved by the Christians whom they shepherd. It will truly make a difference in the way I minister to those God places in my path, in the years to come.

 

God’s Peace,

Patti   

 

From John:

The hope for Uganda’s future is the same as the hope for the future of the world. This hope is life for all,  motivated and empowered by Jesus Christ. This is the only motivation which will cause leaders to think about their people before thinking of themselves. It is the only motivation that will seek justice in a ruling culture that historically has sought its own self interest.

 

The majority of the people in the Masindi-Kitara Diocese are open to and hungry for a deeper understanding of God’s Word. We witnessed a changed attitude marked by new commitment as people gained new insights on truths about how God would have them live. In the 7 Sundays that we worshipped with them, we saw many come to the altar rail to commit their lives to Christ, to give testimony to changed hearts, to make right their marital relationships.

 

We are so very blessed to have been inserted into a place where God has already been blessing the efforts of dedicated servants who have labored sacrificially, for so long, in such loving and unwavering ways. The Teaching Parish Practicum that I went to Masindi to complete has exceeded my hopes and expectation,s and I pray has further formed me in preparation for whatever ministry God calls me to.

 

As Patti said, we are indeed so very grateful for your prayers and support.

 

Mukama Siimwe! Mukama akuhe Omugisa.  Praise the Lord! May God Bless you.
 
 
Walter's Train
 
 
 
English Class in the Guest House for tea

No comments:

Post a Comment