Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 2 in Kampala

Hey Everyone!
Its day 2 for us in Kampala, and its been great so far. Its almost 5pm here, so the day is not over yet, but I thought since I had a minute I'd write a little and try to add in some pictures and a video. Hopefully the video will work. The sound quality isn't great because I think we keep putting our fingers over the microphone, but I'll post it anyways. We are new at this. Today Newman I think was feeling the jet lag because he did not have time like I did yesterday to sleep in. He slept in most of the morning and then he and I headed out for the first time together into the city. Michael and Amanda had things to do so it was great for all of us just to do what we wanted for the afternoon. I have to admit, I was a little tense as we began our walk down the hill and into the heart of Kampala because everything was so new and different, but as we walked more and as I said a few prayers I began to feel more and more at ease. Its a strange feeling being a minority in color and in nationality. As we got into the busier part of town, we began to see more mzungus or "white people" like us. We got my cell phone set up and got some minutes for both of our phones. Then we exchanged some money and went to lunch at a yummy little place that I honestly have forgotten the name of already. Java something?? I was pleased to find food that looked very familiar to me. We then got a call from Michael and Amanda that they were taking a run into town and they met up with us to do a little grocery shopping for drinks tonight with friends and for tomorrow. We are meeting up with Olivia tonight who is from Charleston and has been living and working in Burundi. Newman was at the Citadel with her and has many mutual friends from Burundi, so we are all looking forward to getting to know her better. So thats about it for today but enjoy the pictures and the videos. The pictures are mainly from our trip over and from the view from the house we are staying in right now. Love to you all!!






2 comments:

  1. Trish! I was asking who were going to Uganda with because we are adopting from Uganda. We are in the beginning of the long process but my Mom told me that you and your husband are moving there for the next two years?! That is AMAZING. I am so glad to be able to follow your blog. It feels like I will be in touch with Uganda in a little personal way :) Our baby home that our child will come from is in Kampala. I haven't read any of your other post but I will catch up soon... just saw that you too were in Kampala!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Mandy thats so awesome!!!!! I want to hear everything about it and when yall might be here! We will be back and forth to Kampala a good bit, so if yall are planning a trip at any time let us know. Im so excited for yall and will be praying for yall and the little one! I know this process can be tough and take longer than you want it to so I hope it goes really smoothly for yall. Please keep in touch!

      Delete